If you have some local good news to share and want Paco to shout it out, then send him an email to email@example.com.
AMAZON TO DELIVER MORE J-O-B-S
Amazon is reporting that they will hire another additional 800 personnel in Nevada. That is above and beyond the 2,000 positions they filled in March. All in all, Amazon has hired over 100,000 employees in the past month or so.
The company says that they must hire the new employees in order to keep up with the high demand they are experiencing due to COVID-19.
The new jobs cover everything from picking up, packing and shipping customers’ orders, and delivering packages from their delivery stations to customers’ homes.
Originally Amazon anticipated their expenses to be around $350 million during these challenging times, however, their new estimates exceed the ½ BILLION dollar mark.
If you’re looking for a job, you can apply on line at their employment website.
Nevadans can text Amazon to 77088 to get employment update messages.
During the COVID-19 outbreak we’re seeing a lot of people who are currently struggling. Either people who’ve been furloughed, lost their jobs, are homeless, or depressed from the results they see in their own lives or in the lives of others.
One of the ways psychologists say you can feel better emotionally is by helping someone else.
Here are five things you can do to help during these challenging times.
1) The Write Stuff: Call a retirement home, or simply write a letter (or email) to an elderly friend who doesn’t have any interaction with anyone. It’ll make them feel better because they’ll see that someone really DOES care about them and that they’re NOT forgotten.
2) Rooma Zoom Zoom: You can download the “Zoom” app and start an online group with others to do something like a sing-along, meditation, a dance party, or even work out together. That way your other friends “gather” and avoid the lonely quarantine feeling that isolation creates.
3) A is for Apple: You’ve heard the expression, “an apple for the teacher,” right?! Well, if you work in a field that is more specialized or you happen to be good at certain particular subjects in school, what about lending your skills to kids and teach or mentor them for parents who are less knowledgeable in certain fields like math, science, history or geography. You can put it on your social media or help friends, neighbors, co-workers or family.
4) GoodBuy : During difficult times like these a LOT of local businesses need help in order to keep their doors open. If you can, take the time to go to Jammin1057.com and check out businesses that we’re giving free on line advertising to to promote their businesses. On our home page, click on “Operation Gift Card.” These businesses offer gift cards and you can purchase them on line right at Jammin1057.com.
5) Make A Bank Deposit: With all the stress and strain on our city during COVID-19, many of the areas non-profit organizations designed to help our local communities are being pulled in all directions. There are many organizations such as The Salvation Army, Three Square, Las Vegas Rescue Mission and others.
If you can donate non-perishable food, do…if you can donate money, it would help them with overhead and operational costs for those struggling. They’d all appreciate it!
The University of Waterloo in Canada reports that they are developing a DNA based vaccine to combat COVID-19 which could be sprayed up your nose in the form of a nasal spray.
The vaccine will use a process called bacteriophage. It allows the vaccine to replicate bacteria which is already in the body and targets the nasal cavity and lower respiratory tract.
Roderick Slavcev a professor in the School of Pharmacy at the University says that when the vaccine is complete it will be administered in a non-invasive nasal spray that will deliver nanomedicine engineered to immunize and decreate COVID-19 invections.
He goes on to say, “This research combines the expertise of many and leverages existing technology developed by my team, which we’re reconfiguring for a COVID-19 application.”
The DNA based vaccine will in turn trigger targeted tissues and develop a virus like particle (VLP) that stimulates antibodies to fight the virus.
According to their research, the vaccine will also protect others by cancelling the possibility of spreading to outside bodies by binding to receptors, thereby controlling the spread of the disease.
This entire project was a modification of a previous project to fight the SARS epidemic of the early 2000s.
Keep up the great work guys!
And THAT’S your Good News You Can Use Today!
Now, Stay home, Stay Safe, Wash Your Hands, and STAY POSITIVE!